First the bad news: I have to make another muslin.
Now the good news: I get to make it in a size smaller!!!
Last night I pushed through and finished a down and dirty muslin of S2337. For a refresher, here’s the pic.
Since I am making the dress using double-knit fabric, I had the hare-brained idea
bright idea to use a stretch fabric. However, did I use a similar knit fabric to what I will actually use for the final dress? NO! I used some leftover fabric that was too stretchy and too thin for this dress. Live and learn, I guess.
There is no photographic evidence of this muslin. I know you all want to see how hideous it was, but I was lucky that my camera battery was dead. I made a sz 14 suspecting that I would need to move up to the sz 16 since I have gained weight recently. So in my infinite wisdom, I thought I should sew just 1/2 inch side seams instead of 5/8ths giving me another inch all around. The end result was hideously big.
Of course I will need to make another muslin, gratefully in a sz 12 this next time, in real muslin. I think this dress will be flattering once it’s in the right fabric and not giantess-sized, but it’s so hard to tell in its current drapey, stretchy, too big state.
I can say with great confidence though that the neckline is Burda low. In fact, I think you could see my belly button from space it’s so low. Not sure how I’ll rectify that yet.
Although I am bummed I have to make another muslin, thereby slowing my process down even more, I am glad to have vanity sizing and am excited to work on a new project again. It’s been so long since I worked with a knit, it almost feels like an alien fabric in my hands. I do love the stability of wovens, I have to say.
One note re: the drafting. The princess seams on this bodice are a little tricky. The side panel bust curve is really curvy, but the front panel to which it is sewn is not that curvy, so that creates lots of puckers, especially in an unstable fabric like a stretchy knit. I will have to see how it works in a woven fabric first before I decide what method with which to tackle them once I start working with the double-knit.
Long story, short: More muslining tonight!