Now that I have been sewing in earnest for a year, I am finally starting to have confidence. Not in the traditional sense, meaning I feel confident, but rather I am no longer frozen in fear with new projects. I guess a trench coat will do that to you. 😉
Here’s what I learned this past year. I don’t mean to scare you, but it’s a long list and in no particular order!
- sewing on buttons
- making buttonholes
- blind hems
- putting on eyelets
- hand stitches, like slip stitching
- adding a lining
- patch pockets
- different kinds of machine stitching, like top stitching, edge stitching, stay stitching, stitching in the ditch, etc.
- making notched collars
- how to use my walking foot
- sewing on suit closures
- hemming pants
- muslins are your friends
- rolled hems
- sewing with chiffon is a bitch (but I learned some tricks for this fabric)
- every fabric is different and sews differently (sounds really stupid until you find out that not all knits are alike)
- always practice your stitching on scraps of the fashion fabric before you start your project
- DON’T SEW when tired
- DON’T SEW late at night (still need to learn this lesson and the previous one)
- it always takes longer than you think it will
- pin tucks
- basting is your friend
- proper pinning
- invisible zippers (I’m ok with this, but still need to improve)
- how to use single fold bias tape
- sashiko embroidery
- quilting (use longer stitches, be sure to use quilter’s thread, binding, and decorative stitches)
Ok, I’m pretty impressed with myself right now. 😉
Of course, I know I haven’t mastered any of these skills. It will take me years, I assume, for my garments to look really professional, but I am pleased so far.
So what’s in the works for 2010? Well, here’s a very cursory list…
- sheath dress
- use sweater knits for a cardigan sweater set
- welt pockets
- find some TNT’s like Carolyn
- perfect my invisible zipper
- more lined skirts
- a tailored shirt
- make a charmeuse or chiffon blouse
- participate in at least 1 Pattern Review contest
- make at least 25 garments (one of which should be a complex pattern like the trench coat)
Am I nuts here? Is this a doable list?
I am so excited about 2010. I feel a sense of great anticipation and that this year will be very productive for me. I can’t wait to sew. Tonight I am tracing off a new Burda pattern.
Happy sewing everyone.