Jack and I had a wonderful time at my friend Kate’s house in Long Island this weekend. Very relaxing and fun. Jack had a blast in the pool and playing with the older kids. I hope you all had a lovely weekend as well.
I have started work on my next project, which I will tell you about in a sec, but I wanted to let you know (at the risk of being TMI) that my sewing will slow down significantly over the next few months as I am dipping my toes into the dating pool again and will have less time to devote to sewing. I consider the first few months of dating like a second job in terms of the time commitment it requires. Lots of interviewing candidates before you find someone remotely interesting. Sound like fun? NOT! But I have come to the realization that a) I am ready to get back into the game again, and b) I ain’t getting any younger. Now’s the time! Carpe diem and all that. Do I sound enthused? 😉
My next project is a pleated skirt, Simplicity 2698, the shorter red print version on the left.
When I originally bought the pattern, I still was in denial about my “number”. You know what I mean… What pattern size I am. No way was I buying the pattern envelope with all the large sizes in it. Now I am older, wiser and have calmly accepted the fact that I am a larger size. Are you laughing at me yet? The largest size in this envelope is 12. I think realistically I’m inbetween a size 14 and 16. I think it’s fairly simple to grade this pattern up and asked Thea how I might do so. She wrote that I could take some inches out of the pleats or I could just add extra to the sides. I think I am just going to add to the sides as I like how big the pleats are. I just realized though that the back of the skirt is not pleated and I think I want it to be. Thoughts people? Do I want pleats in the back? If so, would I just use the front pattern piece for the front and back? Am I being stupid?
Last night I traced the pattern to make my muslin. Tonight I will cut and sew it up. Wish me luck.
By the way, here’s my sewing plan for the next couple of months:
- Churn out some pleated skirts using the chrysanthemum fabric, the navy stretch cotton from my first pair of pants (capris) and the khaki cotton I bought from Metro Textiles ages ago to make more pants.
- Audition/muslin several sheath dresses for my TNT project and for the family wedding in September.
- Work on my fall coat for the Trench Sew Along II.
With my new “second job”, this plan seems a little ambitious, but I think it can be doable. The second job also threatens my 2010 goals, but I will try to keep my eye on the ball. Life happens I guess; you can’t plan for everything.
Happy sewing everyone!