As I mentioned in my last post, I am making some new design choices with my latest B5147 dress. I am using a lightweight plum tweed from Paron’s as the fashion fabric, some unknown type of lining (purchased from P&S fabrics). My thinking was that since this was tweed, I would make a more casual dress, really more of a jumper, as I know I will wear it with a shirt or turtleneck underneath it since the pattern is sleeveless. As I was sewing the lining to the fabric at the neck, I was inspired to add topstitching to the neckline and armscye. I thought it would punch up the sporty look of the tweed. The topstitching combined with my exposed zipper in the back would make this dress look completely different from my silk twill version or the dressier one I made for my cousin’s wedding.
Anyhoo, getting on with it. I had changed the thread in my machine from the yummy plummy thread to the one that matched my lining. So when I went to topstitch, I changed it again to the yummy plummy one. I started to merrily topstitch away when I remembered that I had read somewhere that I could use two different color threads when sewing (one color for the needle and a different one for the bobbin). What?!?! You don’t have to use the same color for both the bobbin and needle? Sacrilege! Heresy!
Cue in the gratuitous LOLcats and the muse for my post title…Well, it was too late to change my bobbin thread for the neckline topstitching, but I did change it for the armscye topstitching and I love it! I know no one will ever see it but me and my dry cleaner, but I know that it’s there and it makes me happy. Going forward, I will make sure that drapery matches the top fabric and that the carpet matches the lining if you catch my drift. 😉
In exposed zipper news, it took me a good hour and a half to two hours to insert that sucker! But insert it I did! I have more to discuss on the exposed zipper front, but that will have to wait until next time. All I have to do now on this dress is hand sew the lining to the zipper tape and sew the vent/hem. Then this puppy will be done and ready for prime time! I hope to wear it to work this week and on Sunday when Jack and I take our annual pictures. 🙂
Happy sewing everyone.